Wednesday, March 31, 2010

My Shamrock Shake Heartbreak

Here it is the final hours of the final night of March 2010, and I have yet to enjoy a McDonald's Shamrock Shake this year.

Now I know what you may be thinking. Does this really warrant an entire post? And to that I say, yes. Yes it does. Perhaps, the thing I love most about March is the Shamrock Shake. I look forward to it every year.

Some of you may be thinking, "What is a Shamrock Shake?" Well let me tell you. It is pure bliss. A Shamrock Shake is a seasonal mint-flavored milkshake sold at McDonald's across the country throughout March in celebration of St. Patrick's Day.

Well, apparently, the Shamrock Shake isn't a universally celebrated dessert because here in New York City they do not sell them. Trust me, I've looked. I've been two dozens of McDonald's in the city this month and every time I ask for one I'm greeted with a look of pure bewilderment. There are even entire websites created by Shamrock Shake lovers in search of one of these treasures within the city's limits. But they simply don't exist. On St. Patrick's day alone I went to four different McDonald's thinking that perhaps they would serve the shake on that day since it was a special occasion. But sadly, no.

I've been misled and let down so many times. One restaurant will tell me that a different restaurant nearby is serving them, but then when I go there they tell me I have been mistaken. I have even been told by my coworkers where I can get them, but every time I leave empty handed. They simply don't serve them here in the city and I don't really know why.

It looks like this March will be the first in many, many years that I did not get to enjoy a Shamrock. And I must admit. I am partially to blame. You see, I had my chance and I missed it. On my way back to New York from my Grandma's funeral last month, I had a layover in Chicago. While there, I saw the wondrous sign of hope hanging at the terminal's McDonald's which read, "You're in luck. The Shamrock Shake is back." If I knew then what I know now I would have stormed the counter demanding a shake. But instead, I made the worst mistake I've made since that time I gave my goldfish a bubble bath. I kept walking. I thought, oh great, they're back...I'll get one when I get back to New York. I didn't know until I got back to NYC that they were nonexistent here.

So it seems like I have nobody to blame, but myself. I had my one chance, but I blew it. Now the only thing I can do is to start the countdown to March 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My NYC Address

Carson Stokebrand
c/o Dr. Chhaya Dey
116 Pinehurst Ave. #J-14
New York, NY 10033

Followers