Sunday, March 21, 2010

The Colbert Report


On Wednesday, we were fortunate enough to get off work early so I decided I would try to make the most of my free time. As soon as I found out we were getting released, I went online looking for information about tickets to the Comedy Central show, The Colbert Report starring Stephen Colbert. To my surprise they still had some available for that day's taping so I submitted a request for one ticket. A few minutes later I got a confirmation email letting me know that at ticket had been reserved in my name. I was actually kind of surpised...every show for the next three months was sold out…I’m guessing they must distribute extra tickets the day of the taping to ensure they fill the studio.

Anyways, I got in line at the Colbert Report, located on West 54th Street, around 4:30 and was 36th in line. While waiting, I managed to finish reading my book “The Other Shulman” which has been my “subway” book for the last several weeks. It always feels good to finish a book. I ended up standing in line until 5:30 and then the Colebert Report staff brought us into the studio. We were required to go through a security checkpoint and were then corralled into this small room with a TV overhead where we all stood waiting to take out seats. It was not a very glamorous room at all. There was one bathroom on the east side of the room, a slanted Colbert poster hung on the wall, and a bunch of miscellaneous objects were lined up against the west wall partially covered by a big, blue tarp. After awhile, they finally allowed us to all enter the actual studio so we could take our seats.

I was seated in the fourth of seven rows, next to the aisle; it was a pretty good spot. The studio itself was MUCH nicer than the waiting room. The chairs and steps were new and the set itself was very impressive. I have always enjoyed watching The Colbert Report and Daily Show and now I was here! Before the show, Stephen Colbert came out and did a "pitch" with John Stewart at the Daily Show. Pretty much a pitch is just a little taped segment in which Colbert and Jon Stewart talk back and forth for a few minutes. They said they don’t do it all that often anymore so we were lucky. There was then an opening comedian who warmed up the crowd (he was also a writer for the show). Then Colbert did something which I thought was pretty cool: he came out and did a Q&A session, out-of-character, with the audience. After that, they got ready to tape. It was just fun to see how they primp him and prepare for the show in the minutes leading up to going on-air. The show itself was funny as always, and I think I was even in a few of the crowd shots. Colbert’s wife and kids were also in the audience, so that was kind of cool too. Colbert's guest on the show was author Nell Irvin Painter who has written a book entitled "The History of White People." As you can imagine, Colbert had plenty of humorous questions to ask about the book and it's title. Around 8:30 the show finished taping and I went on my way.

Anyways, I felt it was a rather rewarding way to spend my afternoon off. I'm going to try to attend as many other television tapings as possible in the months ahead. Next up: The Daily Show!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My NYC Address

Carson Stokebrand
c/o Dr. Chhaya Dey
116 Pinehurst Ave. #J-14
New York, NY 10033

Followers